Honky Tonk sound

Bud Schwab budschwab@earthlink.net
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 14:30:00 -0800

Hi gang,

When I was tuning for MGM in the 60's and 70's we would put small tacks in
the hammers to produce the honky tonk sound.  I believe we used those
little tacks that you use to install bridle straps.  I would put three side
by side in the trichords and two in the bichords.  It gave quite a good
sound.  Can't tell you any more what movies they were all used in but there
quite a few and never had any complaints.  I learned that trick from the
previous MGM tuner.

Bud

>bit high, I have also offered a "special effects tuning", which is a
>honky tonk sound. But my idea was to tune one of the trichords DOWN
>slightly. No one has taken me up on the offer yet, so I haven't actually
>done it.
>
>Have any others tried this? How did you do it? Did it work well? Did you
>retune the piano afterwards to normal?
>
>Wally Scherer
>Palm Beach County, Florida
>Send e-mail (TEXT ONLY!) to: <WallyTS@iname.com> or <p003520b@pb.seflin.org>
>If you are sending html documents, attachments, etc., please use:
><WTScherer@hotmail.com>   This is checked about once a week.
>My personal web page: <http://www.geocities.com/vienna/2411>
>My business web page: <http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/afinetune>

						Bud Schwab