reply to Ilvedsen

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 18:46:37 -0800

   Hi David                                                =20
Just thought I would respond to your post on voicing yamaha hamrs. =
Having voiced my share at my Dads dealership  I can tell you honestly =
that I veiw the outcome of most efforts as not altogether inspiring .To =
put another way,in our shop we never use yam. hmrs when replacing. Now =
obviously ever body has there subjective bias etc. when talking hammers =
but Ican not get the sound of my dreams with fact. hmrs.However as you =
well  know we work with what we got Right! Because of the way yam. hmrs. =
are made i.e. dense felt steamed to perfection they like many wil yield =
harder and yet harder felt as they  are worn and filed .The densest =
portion being over the tip of the moulding .As with all makes of shrink =
wrapped hmrs.  consistincy varys.That being said at least in the past =
the pianos came in with hmr. shoulders already to weak from over =
needling and theso called sacred zone untouched i.e. from striking pt.  =
down to molding. But because of density factors inherent in there design =
that little sacred zone can be the problem  and without some judicous =
needling in that area and possible reenforcing of  the shoulders with =
hrdnrs. you probably will not be completely satisfied. Are we ever?To =
emphasize my point if you obliterated all but  the sacred zone with =
needles the piano would probably still sound to bright Ask me how I =
know.  aftr filing leveling strgs ,hmrs and tuning use one needle in =
that zone to locate the hard spots. Go slowly a couple strokes at a time =
and listen. the brooks four corner technique is very useful as can be =
couple fairly deep strokes straight down the middle . If the hmrs are at =
all reasonable these few measures  should help significantly.perhaps a =
few more at the ends of the string marks.I find asingle needle an =
enormously useful tool.Bottom line the sacred zone must be a connective =
and homogeneous piece of the vocing puzzle not just a stand alone string =
thumper . Hope this might be food for thought.  sincerely  Dale Erwin    =