Pinblock drilling. Trying again for help!

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 20:48:52 -0600

Ron

I, too, drill the block in the piano, but I use a drill bit with an
extension on it, because the jobber length drill bits were too short to
reach the block with my drill press. So, I experimented. The whole thing
measures about 10'' long. No math to figure the lengths. It's just what I
had on hand at the time. The extension had a 1/4" hole in it, so I drilled
it out to fit the F drill bit and tightened up the clamping screws. I
learned from metal fabricating experience that a drill bit will "find" the
center if the center is dimpled with a punch and/or drilled with a pilot
hole. The longer the bit, the easier the centering. The pin block is center
punched for all the holes. The long bit readily finds the center and easily
compensates for any slight drill press misalignment. I've just received
other lengths and sizes of bits with different flute configurations and
cutting angles. I'll post the results. As far as feed and spindle speed: too
slow a speed and fast feed cuts a ragged hole. Too fast a spindle speed and
too slow a feed will glaze the hole if not scorch it. Practice different
rates to find where your machine will perform the best. Slice the test hole
open and examine your results.

Paul Chick

P.S. I enjoy your humor. Glad you're on the list.