Twangy pianos + stringing

joegum joegum@webtv.net
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 22:37:32 -0500 (EST)

  My oh my......  This is getting interesting. When I wrote my orignal
post, I promise that I had no idea that what I was posting was so
controversial.  But, as they say, "Inn for a penny, in for a pound."  I
was asked for sources...  I found some more.    In
Mr. John W. Travis'
"A Guide to Restringing," 2nd Edition, on page 29:    "....Before you
put too much tension on the strings, see that they are spaced as nearly
perfect as possible, and as you intend to leave them. This takes a
little more time, but will save you many headaches, such as having to
let the tension down again before you can move the wire, or forcing the
wire by TWISTING AND ROLLING IT, THUS CAUSING FALSE BEATS WHICH REMAIN
WITH THE PIANO FROM THEN ON..."
In Mr. Arthur A. Reblitz'  "Piano  Servicing, Tuning  & Rebuilding", 2nd
Edition, on page 115:  "Other causes of false beats, ringing, or
jangling noises in the treble strings are TWISTS, bends kinks, heavy
rust spots, or RAISING THE STRING TOO FAR ABOVE THE CORRECT PITCH DURING
TUNING, WHICH CAUSES THE WIRE TO STRETCH SO FAR THAT IT BECOMES
DEFORMED."                                                Again, I am by
no means stating, implying or anything else, that the string alone is
the source of all false beats.  I am only stating that avoiding twists
and over pulling as much as humanly possible can only improve things.
And, in my original post, I proposed that on certain economy pianos
twisting and over pulling may or may not have been used for the sake of
efficiency.  -Joe