Pinblock drilling. Trying again for help!

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 23:45:59 -0600

> I've just received
>other lengths and sizes of bits with different flute configurations and
>cutting angles. I'll post the results. As far as feed and spindle speed: too
>slow a speed and fast feed cuts a ragged hole. Too fast a spindle speed and
>too slow a feed will glaze the hole if not scorch it. Practice different
>rates to find where your machine will perform the best. Slice the test hole
>open and examine your results.
>
>Paul Chick

That's just the kind of thing I found trying to drill to finished size hole
in one pass, especially in Delignit. That's why I originally started
drilling two passes. Finished fit uniformity went way up, and criticality
of speed and feed rate went way down.  The result was that I got a good
dependable uniform fit without having to figure out  how to do it all over
again every time I drilled a block. I liked that part a lot. Still do. It
may very well be more forgiving with a less dense block, but I haven't
tried all possible combinations. I would be interested in seeing both your
results, and the source of your bits.

>P.S. I enjoy your humor. Glad you're on the list.

You're possibly in need of professional help, but thanks anyway. <G> I'm
glad I'm here too. I've learned a lot from these folks.

Ron N