Cents=Lbs

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 09:44:05 EST

In a message dated 11/24/00 10:39:25 PM Central Standard Time,
RNossaman@KSCABLE.com writes:

<< Hi Wim,
 Not a 5 cent increase, a five cps increase = 20 cents increase = 18 lbs.
 That's 0.9 lbs per cent. My spread sheet shows a semitone increase from A-4
 = 415cps@704 lbs to A-4=440cps @792 lb. This isn't exactly accurate though,
 because there's no allowance for the fact the bearing angle decreases as
 the board is loaded, so the bearing actually increases in a diminishing
 progression with tension, rather than in a linear fashion. I considered
 trying to build it in, but it got too complicated for the importance of the
 information obtained, so I didn't attempt it. So with a roughly 18 lb
 bearing increase with 20 cents pitch increase, you'd be looking at probably
 under 75 lbs bearing increase with a full semitone pitch raise to 440. The
 tension increase is still lots scarier.

 Ron N >>

So what you are basically saying is that trying to convince the customer that
the reason a pitch raise is hard on the piano is because of the increase in
pounds on the downbearing, would be as complicated to her as it is to us.

I think I'll stay with my original comparison of percentage. That I can
understand, and I think the customer will too.

Wim