Twangy pianos + stringing

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 11:56:47 +0930

Hi Newton,

Pardon the snips.

Agree with all you said for today's world but, do you remember when bass =
strings (when new) had a twist in them when hung loosely as against bass =
strings of today that hang straight.

Have you ever released the tension on the bass of a fantastic sounding =
(in the bass) piano and found that there is no twist at all ?.

Am not knocking our present string makers but are they made differently =
today ? Sometimes I feel that the strings are wound without enough =
tension on the string when winding and this is the reason why we are now =
twisting them as much as we are.=20

And then there is the other issue, some pianists (who play pipe organ in =
particular) prefer a less harmonic rich bass string than others.

My preferred method these days is to pull the bass string up to full =
tension with no twist, leave for 2 to 5 days then twist as required to =
balance the tone.

Personally I say the less twist the better.

Regards

Tony Caught ICPTG
Australia
caute@optusnet.com.au