Fazer bridge? ahem...

Albertien de Pater a10pater@xs4all.nl
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:56:16 +0100

>But what happened was that everything *except* the bass dropped.  Spot on,
>from the first bass note.
>The bass is still right up to pitch and in tune.
>And the rest of the piano is "relatively" in tune with itself, that is, the
>lowest tenor note upwards.  Did you get that?
>Why would a drop in humidity not affect the bass?  And donīt tell me itīs
>because of longer strings :-)
>

>Many more thanks in advance,
>
>Kristinn

Hi Kristinn,

In my experience this is quite often the case. In summer the pitch of the
treble rises, in winter it drops, while the bass stays the same, more or
less. Sometimes only the middle region of the piano goes up and down, but
also often all the treble strings do. I allways think it has to do with the
place of the bridges. The bassbridge is placed on a more ridgid part of the
soundboard, so it suffers less from humidity swings.
However, maybe the strings themselves are also an item. Because the
difference between the first treble, and the last bass string is often
evident, even if they are both part of the treble bridge. Don't have an
explication for that.

Regards,
Albertien de Pater, Amsterdam