Fazer bridge? ahem...

David M. Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:40:53 -0600

I remember back in my earlier days, when my supply of ignorance was even larger than it is now, I was asked to tune a studio piano at the store where I worked.  It was already on a 4 wheel dolly.  I tuned it there and later it was taken off the dolly and put on the floor.  Needless to say, no one was impressed with the tuning.  It was, however, dramatic enough that I have remembered it these decades later.

dave

On 11/27/00 at 10:10 AM Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

>Richard,
>
>At 16:18 11/27/2000 +0100, you wrote:
>
>>Clyde Hollinger wrote:
>>
>> > I'm responding to mention another possibility.  Is the piano a
>> vertical?  If the
>> > weight distribution on the four casters is different than before
>> because of the
>> > floor of the room, that can have a rather dramatic effect on the
>> tuning.  I am
>> > tentatively planning on demonstrating this at our next chapter meeting.
>>
>>THIS I would Like to see... grin.  who knows ???
>>--
>>Richard Brekne
>

>It can be lots-o-fun to an unsuspecting audience, too.  A number of years
>ago Owen Jorgensen was demonstrating some temperaments at a regional
>conference and one of the pianos used (a console) wasn't cooperating.
>
>He commented that it had sounded correct before the demo.  He then
>proceeded to lift one side of the keybed, and while holding it up,
>demonstrated the correct(ed) beat speeds.
>
>Ever since, I've removed lids or whatever else it took NOT to move a
>vertical piano out from under shelves, tune it, then move it back...
>

>Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
>Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
>Voice-(319)-387-1204  //  Fax (319)-387-1076(Dept.office)

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University