buying pianos off web??

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:42:36 -0700

Hmmmm, this is interesting.  I came across a web page today that has me
scratching my head.  There is a web sight that advertises buying pianos
off the internet as easily as a mouse click.  All are advertised as used
and they seem to emphasis Yamaha and Kawai because "the variability
within pianos is extremely low".  If you look at one of the photographs
very carefully you can see that there are two pedals, (i.e. gray
market).  You can, however get what they call a "private label" piano
for less, (what would seem to be any name other than Kawai or Yamaha).
Grand pianos are said to start at $4,000.00.  There is no mention about
condition other than cosmetics.  Oddly enough, it says that the bench is
not included!!  This they say is because "Benches are like pants-one
size does not fit all".

The page is here:

http://www.pianoquest.com/faq.html

The company is located in Sacramento, CA.   The only warranty is that
you have exactly three days to inspect it.  After that you have by
default agreed to keep it unconditionally.  This of course is barely
enough time to arrange for a technician to inspect it, (assuming that a
credible tech is willing and able to schedule an appointment during that
time).  So, is this what we are coming to?   Has anyone here had a
client who has purchased a piano like this?

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV