Here's a puzzler for you

Wallace Scherer p003520b@pb.seflin.org
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:25:46 -0500 (EST)

A week after I had tuned a Kimball console, the customer told me one of
the keys was sticking. When I arrived, she played the key a few times,
and then it stuck down, about half way. The key itself felt free, but the
hammer would not strike the string.

When I opened up the piano, the key was not sticking, nor could I get it
to stick again. But upon careful observation of the action, I figured out
why it was probably sticking.

I made an adjustment using only my fingers, then closed up the piano,
mostly satisfied the problem would not reoccur.

However as I drove away, I thought of something else I could have done
INSTEAD that probably would have been better, again using only my fingers.

Can you tell me:

1. What was the problem?

2. What was my original solution?

3. What other solution did I think would have been better?

Wally Scherer
Lake Worth, Florida

Send e-mail (TEXT ONLY!) to: <WallyTS@iname.com> or <p003520b@pb.seflin.org>
If you are sending html documents, attachments, etc., please use:
<WTScherer@hotmail.com>   This is checked about once a week.
My personal web page: <http://www.geocities.com/vienna/2411>
My business web page: <http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/afinetune>