buying pianos off web??

MoodyPiano@AOL.COM MoodyPiano@AOL.COM
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:32:43 EST

Hi All,

I don't know anything about Piano Quest but I do think their return
policy/warranty is a little slimy.

Regarding ebay (and the like), our company has been the piano mover for a few
Internet piano sales over the course of this last year.  Although not all
have turned out poorly, I have found that most of the time these purchases
are made hastily and without good judgment.  With one piano in particular, a
grand piano (off ebay) from NJ for $800.00 (a too good to be true price), the
customer was urged by us to have it evaluated by a technician local to the
piano prior to sealing the deal.  After having difficulty finding a
technician that would evaluate it, she opted just to buy it based on the
description "Showroom condition, only needs tuning."  After we moved it, a
technician that we know was contracted to tune it.  Upon his arrival, he
found a myriad of problems that rendered the piano unserviceable.
Approximately a week later, we were contacted by a mediator that was accusing
us of having dropped the piano during shipment to have caused all of these
problems.  At this point a second technician, not affiliated with us, was
contracted to evaluate the piano and came to the conclusion that the piano
was unserviceable by age and neglect, nothing to do with the move.  So unless
things have changed at this point, this customer is out a great deal of money
and frustration and now only has a nonfunctioning piano to show for it.  I'm
not sure if the seller was trying to be deceptive or if both parties caused
this due to their lack of knowledge.  I am sure that this is not just an
Internet problem as I have seen many botched private sales locally, when the
purchaser decided not to consult a technician.  But due to the distance
between buyer and seller with Internet sales, I think that mistakes like this
are more easily made.

I have another Internet purchase coming in via Keyboard Carriage in a few
weeks for us to delivery locally.  This customer seems to be well-read on
piano purchasing and has had a technician evaluate the piano.  I am very
interested to see if this one works out without any problems.

~Lanie

Moody Piano & Organ
Marlborough, MA