Bass Bridge Downbearing/Sidebearing

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 19:22:24 -0500

A while back I posted about a bass bridge that had cracked along the
speaking side bridge pin line - the kind where a continuous line of wood is
destroyed and the bridge pins have all migrated so that there is no bend in
the string at the pin. It was suggested that a likely cause was no
downbearing on the bass bridge. I questions that.

Assuming the side bearing was appropriate, I do not understand how
downbearing would affect bridge pin stability/longevity. The side bearing
force vector will be there regardless of the magnatude of the downbearing
force vector. Now I understand that with increased downbearing there could
initially be some reduction of force acting against the pin in the form of
friction on the bridge top, but it seems to me that would go away pretty
fast after whacking the string a few times.

My information on target downbearing for the bass bridge is "just a tad".
Some respected convention lecturers suggest to have the string "just kiss"
the bass bridge top. I do not think such downbearing targets will cause
undue or increased stress on bass bridge pins.

Any thoughts on this?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida