smelly piano

Glenn Grafton gleng@fast.net
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:52:57 -0500

>    Dear list-  While my efforts are usually  focused at improving the
>sound or touch of a piano, a new client has thrown me a  curveball.
>In addition to the sound, her recently acquired piano also  smells bad -
>like cigarette smoke to be exact.  Does anyone know how to  remove
>smoke stink from a piano?  Please help.  John Harrell Associate
>Member Research Triangle Park Chapter,  NC

We have taken on several pianos from a local fire restoration company. One
of the problems we faced often times is the smoke odor that permiates the
piano.

The solution is to put the piano in an ozone chamber. Most fire restoration
companies have these on site. I haven't seen what the ozone chamber looks
like but when the piano comes out all smoke smell is gone. Cost isn't too
bad considering that the piano is moved in for a few days and when it comes
out it's done.

I understand that car dealers often use the same ozone chamber for cars
that were owned by heavy smokers. Same results.

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.
Souderton PA
http://www.graftonpiano.com/
glenn@graftonpiano.com
800-272-5980

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.