"Pedals"

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:50:26 -0800

Maria,

Well, yes, there are a lot of pianos out there with the pedals at the
wrong height. I've seen old uprights sitting on 1" x 4" runners under
each end with big, ugly casters fastened underneath (the work of school
janitors). They're impossible to play but very easy to move.

Another situation is the grand piano placed on a thick carpet. The
wheels sink into the plush floor covering and the pedals are pushed down
onto the pile of the carpet so that you almost cannot operate the pedal
(or your foot gets tired because of the awkward position).

In either case, something can be done. Proper wheels can be installed on
the upright and caster cups can be placed under the grand. It's an
opportunity for you to provide a solution (and earn some money). Stop
complaining and get to work!

:-)

Tom Cole