smelly piano

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:56:27

Not an easy question John,

  First thing is to check the ptg archives, it likely has come up before.

  Cigarette smoke is pervasive and awful.  The first thing I would do is
vacuum the entire piano, then wash the case down completely.  Try some
cleaner that would not damage whatever finish is on the piano.  The orange
citrus cleaners are often good, Ace Hardware has a super cleaner/degreaser
under its own brand name, and Corey sells a wonderful coconut cleaner but I
would try anything you are thinking of using on a small hidden area of the
case first.  You will likely want to polish it after it is cleaned. Be sure
to thoroughly clean the back too.

  (Here's your chance to demonstrate how well Corey products work and maybe
even sell some to your customer.  Clean the piano with coconut cleaner and
polish it with Allbrite.)

  Next clean the keytops.  Alcohol works well on most surfaces (except some
painted sharps).

  If possible have the piano out of her home while doing this work, even if
that means to just move it onto her front porch or whatever.  This gives the
piano and the house a chance to air out.  Possibly when it is moved back in
she won't notice the smell anymore.

  If she does, you need to move on to stage 2: cleaning the interior.  It
depends a lot on what you see and smell. If it's dirty and smells bad,
remove the keys and action, vacuum, use a parts brush and paint brush to
loosen up hardened material.  Blow the action out with either a vacuum in
reverse or compressor.  I can't begin to tell you everything I do to clean
out the interior of a piano.  Each one is different and different materials
work on different pianos.  Hunt the discount stores, hardware stores,
grocery stores, etc. for cleaners and brushes that look like good candidates
for a piano.

  If you have access to a bead blaster, you might clean the action and keys
with that.  A 3M company rust removal pad is actually a great wood cleaner
(ie.on the tops of keysticks).

  When you finally have the piano CLEAN, if there still is cigarette odor,
you can put it into an ozone chamber. I use a small bathroom in the shop
with a couple of air cleaners that generate ozone.

I generally find that with cigarette smoke the case cleaning alone solves
the problem.

  Good luck!
  the "piano putzfrau" of Santa Cruz county,
  Diane

>From: "John & Ruby" <harrell@intrex.net>
>To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
>Subject: smelly piano
>Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:01:10 -0500
>
>Dear list-
>     While my efforts are usually focused at improving the sound or touch
>of a piano, a new client has thrown me a curveball.  In addition to the
>sound, her recently acquired piano also smells bad - like cigarette smoke
>to be exact.  Does anyone know how to remove smoke stink from a piano?
>Please help.
>
>John Harrell
>Associate Member
>Research Triangle Park Chapter, NC