how high(low) do you go?

Larry lbeach@sfu.ca
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:10:55 -0800

I'd be more concerned about the kink in the string at the agraff becoming
part of the string's speaking length when the pitch is dropped to
A440.  The resulting kink would cause strange sounds in an otherwise good
sounding instrument. Now, given that the piano in question is a spinet,
maybe this doesn't make too much of a difference, but being a new piano the
pitch will drop anyway, and might even be close to A440 after a year.  If
it was 50 cents sharp, I would choose to tune it 40 cents above A440 and
let nature do the rest over the year.

Before when I worked in a music store prepping pianos, I got tired of
dropping the pitch 10 cents to A440, then raising the pitch 10 cents in the
customer's home after.  When I just tuned the piano between 5 and 10 cents
sharp it was almost always within a few cents of A440 a few weeks later in
the home.  Mind you, these were Yamahas, and I've never seen a cracked
plate in one of these.

Larry Beach, RPT
Vancouver, Canada