Election

Derek Gibson derekg@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:36:37 -0600

You're very correct Richard.  In Canada, the government has 5 years until they
have to call an election, although one can be called during anytime of the
mandate.  Traditionally, one is held every 4 years.  If the right conditions
prevail for re-election, they will take advantage of it.  This is what happened
in Canada.   The main opposition party had just elected a new leader who was very
green.  The economy is booming.   Winter has just started so the higher heating
costs haven't been felt yet.  Also the prime minister was feeling the heat from
within his own party about replacing him.  Time for an early election.   One
positive point is that our election only took about 5 weeks.   Much nicer than 2
years, give or take a month or two for counting : )

On a side note, it only took less than 3 hours after the polls closed to declare
a Liberal majority government.  Ballots are counted by hand at each polling
station with scrutineers from the political parties looking on.  As has been
pointed out before, the ballot has remained the same for about 100 years, and is
in the same format across the country.

Regards,
Derek