Ivory keys

David Love lovedg@hotmail.com
Tue, 03 Oct 2000 07:36:51 GMT

I recommend using isopropyl alcohol.  It will effectively clean the dirt and
oil from the pores of the ivory and evaporate quickly.  Ivory will absorb
water and when it does it begins to expand and change its shape  (try
dropping an old ivory in a glass of water and see what happens).  Over time,
using water will cause the glue joint to break down and the ivories to get
loose.  Alchohol, though it has anywhere from 10% - 30% water, evaporates
quickly enough to avoid that tendency.  In a pinch, vodka does a nice job
too, though it's a waste of good vodka.

David Love