felt knuckles????

Tue, 3 Oct 2000 08:39:15 -0700

John,

Yes, Steinway did install a solid felt knuckle on, apparently, a very few
actions.  From what little I have been able to learn about these over the
years, this was a relatively short-lived test run as part of their response
to the ongoing shortage of buckskin at the time.

I also have encountered these knuckles over the years and was quite
favorably impressed with them. They seemed to work quite well in practice,
showing very little wear and holding regulation well. Properly lubricated
(in those days I simply used a dry Teflon spray) they did not have excessive
friction. There were no abnormal noises or squeaks. (I must point out,
however, none of those I have seen were heavily used.)

Every time this subject comes up I encounter much of the all to common
knee-jerk criticism and condemnation of this knuckle, but so far I have not
been able to find out just what is so bad about them.

I keep asking those who are most critical of them to expand on what they
have found to be so bad about them in practice and performance, but so far
I've not learned much. Indeed, on questioning several technicians I came
across a while back who were most vocal in their criticism, I ultimately
learned that they had never actually even seen any of these knuckles, let
alone worked with them, but they were still quite convinced that an all-felt
knuckle was a Really Bad Thing.

So, the bottom line...  what are these things like now? Do you know anything
of their service history? How much use have they received? How is their
shape? How have they worn over the years? Are they noisy? Do they squeak? In
other words, from what you can see now -- how have they worked over the
years and can you compare their service to the leather covered knuckles on
the same action?

What a wonderful opportunity to learn something! I'm looking forward to
anything you can tell us about these knuckles.

Regards,

Del