felt knuckles????

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 13:04:17 -0500

>...(I must point out,
>however, none of those I have seen were heavily used.)
>Del

I have.  University environment...Piano faculty studio for at least 22 years.

>...Are they noisy?...
>Del

I have encountered one problem with noise concerning these knuckles.  The
jack tip manages to hit against the back side of the knuckles when the keys
are released, eventually developing a packing/hardening of the felt enough
to cause a clicking sound over the years with continued use.

The neat thing about discovering this noise is the teflon bushed action has
been blamed for the particular clicking noises over the years.  As it
turned out, a casual pass with a brass bristle brush in that area of the
knuckles eliminated the clicking noise.

Assuming, not always the best course of troubleshooting  :-)

>Would you, perhaps, further share your experiences with these knuckles?

Not much else to contribute, except the touch is on the light side, or
unless you have specific questions.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731