felt knuckles????

Yat-lam Hong yat-lam.hong@wmich.edu
Tue, 03 Oct 2000 15:48:44 -0400

Not only have I seen Steinway grands with white (hammer-type) felt
knuckles; I've also come across a Steinway D with action centers bushed
with white bushing cloth, so they looked almost exactly like real teflon
bushings.  They worked just like regular red cloth bushings, and didn't
make any teflon-type clicking noises.  Other than the color, there seemed
to be no difference.  That was in the early 70's, and those white cloth
bushing centers could be the result of a short-lived experiment.  Has
anyone else seen this?  Maybe my age is showing . . . .