Aural?

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Tue, 03 Oct 2000 17:21:49 -0500

on 10/3/00 12:31 PM, Brooks Weisman at brooksw@jps.net wrote:

> David
> If the SAT was used to tune a normal FAC tuning it would not "get 100%" on
> the PTG tuning test given to aural tuners (the Master Tuning determined by
> the 3 RPTs).  The treble would be too sharp and the bass would be too flat.
>
> Brooks Weisman RPT
> Arcata & Napa, CA

Special instructions are given for the tuning of the high treble for the PTG
RPT tuning exam. The exam calls for "clean single octaves" in the high
treble. These instructions are given because standard practice in the
profession includes some rather divergent tunings for the top octave.

The FAC tunings that the SAT calculates, for the most part, tune
double-octaves throughout the scale. Tuning double-octaves in the high
treble results in a sharper high treble than does tuning clean single
octaves. For an explanation of this, see my Journal article Temperament to
the Top -- Temperament to the Bottom, July 1994.

FAC tunings will not receive perfect scores in the high treble on the PTG
RPT tuning exam because of these special instructions given to the examinee
and examiners alike.

However, there is no comparable situation in the bass, and FAC tunings are
likely to score perfectly in the bass. I have personally scored a tuning
exam in which Dr. Sanderson "took" the exam using a straight FAC tuning. The
bass score was perfect; the high treble lost a few points.

Kent Swafford