Spring Conundrum

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 18:41:53 -0500

>I'd like to pull on your coats about something...
>
>I'm regulating an action from a Baldwin grand and have run into a rather odd
>situation with the rep. spring.  If I set the hop to a nice positive lift,
>the hammer shank will fall when I trip the jack with my finger.  If I set the
>spring to support the shank after tripping the jack, the hop has a serious
>kick.  This condition is throughout the action.
>
>Any ideas?...

The first idea that comes to my mind is the relationship of the jack tip to
the window of the repetition lever is off.  The knuckle is resting on the
jack tip rather than the window of the repetition lever.

The second idea that comes to mind is the relationship of the jack tip to
the knuckle.  The jack tip is set too far back of the wood core (towards
the hammer).

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731