Tuning Pin Torque

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 07:34:09 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <A440A@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 29, 2000 5:04 PM
Subject: Re: Tuning Pin Torque

>Snippy<
>
> ......... I have just used a different pinning on the concert D at
Vanderbilt.  It
> needed a new block, and I copied Chris Robinson's approach.  I used 1/0 X
2
> 1/2" pins from Piano Tek, and drilled the Steinway stock block with the C
> bit, (.242").  I moved up to the D bit (.246) for the top section.  The
block
> feels great.  I have a consistant 120- 130 in/lbs throughout right now,
with
> the top section  down about 10 or 15 in/lbs.   I tune this piano a lot, I
> want it to be very comfortable to work with, thus the 1/0 pins and the
> expectation of 100-110 in/lbs of torque within the year.
>    I used Sanderson bass strings, and Mapes Gold series wire, new agraffes
> and new bridge pins in new notches.  It sounds good.
> Regards,
> Ed Foote RPT

Just curious Ed, a 1/0 pin in a piano with no plate bushings seem like it
would flagpole a bunch. Now that you've had a few months to play with it, do
you still like the skinny little pin. I love the little pins in an
open-faced block (where you can have the coils near the block surface), but
have not tried them in a covered-block setting like yours. Very curious to
see how it goes for you now. Thanks

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida