aural - sounds nice?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:11:26 EDT

In a message dated 10/05/2000 10:10:02 AM, Ron K. wrote:

<<This comes down to 'targeting'.  If you picture ET as a straight line
(equal
width of thirds) ANY deviation will make that line no longer straight.>>

Ron;
OK point made and accepted.

I think this was the line of reasoning I was following vis a vis
"intentions". Without prejudice the particular temperamnet we 'attempt' or
"intend" to place on a piano is not needfully what ends up there. Sometimes
it is the pianos fault and sometimes it is our fault, though 'fault' is not
quite the correct word.

 A well crafted temperament of any type does not have to be "perfect" in
order to be a very very good temperament. This applies to all temperaments
and each is as hard to get perfect, vis a vis "intentions", when the same
parameters of +/- of "intentions" are applied to each.

 I think Mike J. summed it up very nicely when he wrote:
" Can a piano be too perfect?  We have photographs yet

still love paintings.

-Mike"

 As for the ETD vs tuning fork controversy...I prefer the tuning fork because
I can get a nice clean tone by striking the fork on my knee...with the ETD
all I get is a "thunk" and bruises on my knee! :-)
Jim BRyant (FL)