Concert Attendance

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 14:42:02 -0400

>There was a post on the CAUT list about hearing as many concerts as possible
>on instruments one has serviced.  This post brought up an interesting
>dilemma for me.
>
>I would like to do so, but often do not.  The ticket prices to the events
>are usually priced at $12 to $15 here.  After paying taxes and expenses on
>my fee, by the time I buy two tickets, I have done a free tuning.
>
>The question is:  How to the rest of you deal with this situation.  Do you
>request free admission for yourself and your wife/guest as a part of the
>tuning arrangement?  Is this frequently granted?
>
>I would appreciate hearing how others deal with this situation.

While it might be a bit presumptuous to demand if you only work there
occasionally, this seems to be something you should be able to work
out with the  hall manager. Especially if the manager knows that
you'll then be available "in case of an emergency" for a potential
intermission touch up, they'll either get you tix, or at least let
the ticket takers know they should allow the guy who announces "I'm
the piano technician" to walk right in, and take an empty seat.

Patrick Draine