Concert Attendance

Eugenia Carter ginacarter@carolina.rr.com
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 13:35:34 -0700

Ray,

For classical events, I attend every rehearsal and the performances. Being
there gives me lots of good information that I have found no other way to
gain. I take a copy of the music or score with me to the rehearsals. If I
don't have it, I buy or borrow it. Having the music lets me identify the
specific notes that sound different. This lets me discuss with the pianist
the exact areas I question and ask their opinions. Do they like the sound?
Do they want it brighter? softer? rounder? fuller? (I'm talking about
nuances that can be changed via string leveling, needling, slight shaping,
minor regulating, not major changes that would alter the over-all quality of
sound.)

Hearing the piano played by a good pianist lets me hear its strengths and
weaknesses so that I have a better idea of what I need to do to improve it.
Being at these rehearsals lets me see as well as hear how the pianist uses
the piano, how the pianist uses the pedals. Is he/she constantly using
half-pedal? How much lost motion is needed in the damper pedal? Egad, are
they using the sos pedal and did I remember to check it?

All of this, imho, contributes to us technicians maintaining and keeping
these performance pianos at concert level.

Just as importantly, being there lets the artist know that we technicians
really exist and we actually do care about the music. Many pianists have
personally told me that it does make a difference to them knowing that the
technician is there, just in case.

I tune the piano for every rehearsal and every performance. I also charge
more for these tunings than my normal tuning rate. The extra amount I charge
does not even closely come near the actual amount of time I spend. In my
mind, however, the educational opportunities for better understanding the
instrument and better understanding the music more than compensate.

Besides, I love hearing the music. Pure self-indulgence.

If you want to start attending the concerts, talk to your powers that be
about how they really need you to be there and you won't even charge them
for your time at the concert. (Is that called scoring points? :-)

Gina