Steinway Upright

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 21:43:02 -0400

I bought a brand-new 1098 three years ago. To make a long story short, I =
still have a copy of the 13-page letter I sent to the dealer and copied =
Steinway about all the problems I had with it. They ranged from a =
soundboard with 1/4" INVERTED crown, nasty nasty ding noises from many =
tenor notes, horrible bridge pinning and notching, the pinblock =
SEPARATING from the frame, crappy repairs the dealer had done, etc, etc. =
If you want all the bloody details email me privately.

I think they sound nice for a small piano (except for the dings). Poor =
workmanship. When I compare a typical 30 year old Yamaha to ALL 30 year =
old Steinway consoles/studios I would take the Yamaha anyday for the =
same price.

I give them two thumbs down. And then to charge $16,000 for =
one...............................

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ray T. Bentley=20
  To: Pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, October 06, 2000 8:00 PM
  Subject: Steinway Upright

  Does anyone on the list have an opinion on the current production =
Steinway uprights?  I have a client who is considering the purchase of =
one.  I don't hesitate to recommend their grands, but I've serviced some =
less than desirable uprights from say 30 to 40 years back.  Have they =
improved in recent years?
  =20
  Ray T. Bentley, RPT
  Alton, IL