Wurly Warranty Situation

Wed, 11 Oct 2000 23:39:51 +0200

Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:

> ILet's see, I have two very long term customers (about 15 years) who have
> these same kinds of Wurlitzer grands.

snip snip

> Now, given the indisputable fact that Ed is *always* right about these things
> and that we should listen to *him* because *he* never tunes "junk",

snipity snipity.

> I already deleted the original post of this thread but my advice would be to
> forget about warranty service, twist a couple of those buzzing bass strings,
> tighten the plate bolts, tap the strings lightly, solve the minor problem
> with the dampers, tune the best unisons you can without too much struggle or
> spending too much time and tell the lady what a nice piano she has and
> collect your money.
>
> Just remember, you are not in one of Ed Foote's recording studios and what is
> relevant to him there usually will not apply to most other situations.  You
> can count on that.

Bill... grin.. your advice is good enough... the rest was simply dealing out the
same crap you accuse nearly the entire universe of. Jiminees guy...will you ever
learn ?? All your good advice ends up in the trash can waaaayyyyyy too often and
the reason is always the same. I say it again... stick to the good stuff.
Positivism will in the end take you much farther... Otherwise by and large I
suppose you and I basically aggree on this line, except that I will refer such
pianos to other techs as I know there are others who are better motivated to do
what can be done with these kinds of pianos. I still take the position tho that
piano techs CAN make an impact on the manufacturing industry by taking a stand
against the low end market. If we dont... if nobody does... it will just keep
getting pushed lower and lower. This is of course does not mean we should go
around telling people in rude terms that their pianos were born of material and
workmanship normally found in the outhouse... grin.. I mean there are ways of
putting things... and ways of putting things.

Hope you and yours are well.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.