Wurly Warranty Situation

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:50:50 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/00 2:20:30 PM Central Daylight Time, A440A@AOL.COM
writes:

<< I must disagree,  there are instruments built and sold with the absolute
 minimum of engineering, execution, and service.  These are instruments
 designed to meet a low market price point with the least expense, and they
 are junk.  Every possible way of building them cheaply is exploited, and the
 expected life of these pianos is quite short for the sellers.
Unfortunately,
  the buyers are often thinking they have made a life-time investment, and
 don't understand why after a year or two, the service costs begin escalating
 until finally, they cannot afford to maintain the piano at all.
     Giving an honest appraisal of what these things are worth is not
 "bashing" all brands and all technicians, it is an attempt to keep customers
 from tossing their hard-earned money into a bottomless pit.    >>

Hmmm,

Let's see, I have two very long term customers (about 15 years) who have
these same kinds of Wurlitzer grands.  They both have nice, big, beautiful,
well-kept houses and they both have me come twice a year.  I have always kept
their pianos clean, well-regulated, voiced and tuned at standard pitch all of
this time.  I have never noticed any manufacturer's defects or ever made any
warranty claims on either one.

Now, given the indisputable fact that Ed is *always* right about these things
and that we should listen to *him* because *he* never tunes "junk", I guess I
am going to have a far different and sad story to tell these customers the
next time I go to see them.  "Sorry to have to tell you this, lady, but what
you thought all along was a piano is actually junk.  I refer to a report from
Ed Foote, the final authority on piano quality from the center of the
universe, Nashville."

And then there was the Wurlitzer console that I tuned in the basement of a
church this morning.  The lady (who knows me well and for whom I've tuned the
two pianos in her home for years) said to me, "We were told this piano had a
cracked soundboard".  Without hesitation and without even looking, I replied,
"No, ma'am, that's not even possible because it has a laminated soundboard
which cannot crack."  I added, gratuitously, "It seems to me that some of
these people who bash perfectly fine instruments like this and others such as
Kimball won't last nearly as long as the pianos they are condemning."

I looked the piano over, found nothing wrong at all, not even any splitting
bridges and proceeded to tune.  In the treble, I found a few slow jacks which
responded immediately to a few drops of Protek.  One fallboard knob had
fallen off and I replaced the missing screw.  The piano was tuned to standard
pitch using the temperament considered unethical by some but which somehow,
takes advantage of the so-called "poor scale design" and leaves the
instrument sounding downright sweet sounding and a pleasure to listen to.

Oh, yeah, there were a couple of those very strong false beating strings.
They matched the description in the original post.  I pressed them with my
false beat eliminator, got some improvement and with very carefully tuned
unisons, I left the piano sounding very nicely tuned.  The unisons sounded
about as good as some Steinways I have tuned which also can and do have this
same problem.  I announced when finished that I couldn't find any real
problems at all with it and that I didn't understand why people who make
their living doing this kind of work would say such bad things about the very
essence of their business.

I already deleted the original post of this thread but my advice would be to
forget about warranty service, twist a couple of those buzzing bass strings,
tighten the plate bolts, tap the strings lightly, solve the minor problem
with the dampers, tune the best unisons you can without too much struggle or
spending too much time and tell the lady what a nice piano she has and
collect your money.

Just remember, you are not in one of Ed Foote's recording studios and what is
relevant to him there usually will not apply to most other situations.  You
can count on that.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin