Keytop replacement

Jerry Hunt piano_tunertx@yahoo.com
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 06:21:56 -0700 (PDT)

I got a call from a customer to tune her Yamaha
upright (she's not sure of age) and repair/replace a
chipped keytop. Two questions:

1) Does Yamaha use the one-piece, molded keytops?
2) If so, what's the best way to remove them? Would a
heat gun work?

I've done a number of keytops with separate tops and
fronts (and haven't had to replace the fronts), but
have not yet tangled with the molded keytops.

Thanks for your help. I've been a way from the list
for a while, and since I e-mail from work, am not able
to access the archives to research this subject.

Jerry Hunt
associate member PTG
Carrollton, TX