separated back

Richard Oliver Snelson rsnelson@dave-world.net
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:28:16 -0500

I complete a repair a few months ago on a separated back. The right hand
side of the pin block was pulled forward about 1/2" at the start.
First I lowered the tension all the way. Then I simply took the back
apart. Top and bottom. I then cleaned off all the old glue and started
to refit the post and post spacers. I use a biscuit jointer to fit two
biscuits into each post spacer joint. Then I dry fit the whole back. It
that point I assembled it using cold liquid hide glue. Using this glue
give you time to move  things around before it sets up. I used a power
screw driver and fastened the post spacers attached to the post by
biscuit joints to the pin block. At the bottom biscuit joints spacers to
posts and reused the normal screws through the plate. Added a few screws
into the bottom rail for the sound board. Installed a new 1/2 back
across the top spacers. The piano is much stronger than when it came
from the factory. Factory screw through the top of the plate were
installed so they actually were directly in a glue joint. No wonder they
failed. Top of the glue joint was a piece of plywood.

I charged $1,000 for the repair. Customer was happy. I was happy.
I know a lot of these repairs are made by installing long bolts through
the plate, pin block and back posts. I would not try that with an
aluminum plate. Take it apart and build it better than new.

Richard