HT program

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:52:31 EDT

 Richard writes:

<< a presentation of non ET temperaments to be included within a
seminar on early classical music late december. Bach will be the most
prominant name on the list of composers.

I would appreciate it if you folks who have a good deal of experience with
historical temperaments to help me with suggestions and advice regarding
what temperaments I should attempt in connection with different
compositions. The presentation should not be too provoking, yet it should
not be to conservative either. >>

Greetings,
   For a wide ranging program that stays out of the 20th century, it is hard
to beat a Young temperament.  It will provide the full range,(almost, it
doesn't give you a pure third anywhere......) of tempering and not be too
wahzoo for the uninitiated.  I strongly suggest that you tune a few of the
temperaments Owen documents and get some feedback from the faculty, before
the program.  Let them come to grips with something that changes what they
have heard and felt all their lives.   Properly introduced, they will often
feel an epiphany at some point and listen to ET in a whole new light.  It
seems that there is something of a harmonic Rubicon that is crossed.
    If you could have a harpsichord in one of the meantone tunings, it would
be very instructive in demonstrating why we temper.  It would also assist in
getting the message over that tuning didn't evolve straight from meantone to
ET!  I have tried presenting four tunings at once,for first timers,  but I
saw their eyes glaze over after the second or so comparison.
   Good luck,  these things usually create a very different regard for the
tuner among the musicians that "get it".  You will be asked a lot of
questions, so do your homework.
Ed Foote RPT,
(been there, done that, and I'm gonna go back there and do it again!)