Unethical? Sure it is!

Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:00:04 -0500

Billbrpt,

Comments interspersed...
At 19:23 10/12/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 10/12/00 6:05:48 PM Central Daylight Time, JIMRPT@AOL.COM
>
><< <<tuned to standard pitch using the temperament considered unethical by
>some>>
>
>  This ain't "sarcasm, it is a blatant untruth, worthy to have been spoken by
>  Al Gore along with his inventing the internet.
>  Jim Bryant (FL)
>   >>

>Honestly, Jim,
>I wasn't thinking about you when I wrote that, I was thinking about all of
>the *other* people who have called my tunings "unethical".

Just as I also have been using the internet since before Al Gore invented
it, I was in on the ground floor of an ethics controversy on this list
which you misremember slightly.

As one of those people whom you call "other", I know _I_ never called your
temperaments unethical.  The ethical problem I and the "others" have is
with _you_ and your proud revelation that you put a non-standard
temperament (Yes, Bill. ET is the generally accepted standard.) on pianos
as a matter of course without prior consultation with, or notification to,
the customer or end user -  such as a recitalist at, say, a
convention/institute.

>   I've always been
>an unethical tuner.

Hmmmmmmm...

Anyway...
I recently put a well temperament on a #1 size Yamaha grand, after trying
several other ways to make the customer happy.  My mentioning this is just
to show that I DO use HTs, and instruments DO sound differently with them.
Before I changed the temperament, however, I  _THOROUGHLY_  discussed what
I was planning, why, and what I felt it would do for her enjoyment of the
instrument.

BTW, I also said that I would return it to ET after a week's "trial run" if
she wasn't happy - she called back the next day saying that she loved it.

She knew it would be different, and she knew in what way.  Was I unethical
in using an HT?  I don't think so.

Please, Bill, in the future when referring to something as being unethical,
refer to the correct thing?

Conrad Hoffsommer - Luther College, Decorah, IA
Eschew Obfuscation.