Sohmer

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:38:07 EDT

Roy:

I agree on the need for the climate control system in the Sohmer 45".
Unfortunately on the Sohmer it might improve the swings from 20% each way to
5% each way - dramatic improvement, but not as much as usual.

Some of these beasts have a lot of string/tuning pin interference in the low
and mid treble.  You probably checked for this, but if it's there, that alone
would be enough friction to give you fits, especially now that the strings
are getting up in years and have a little rust, and especially if you add the
soundboard movement between tunings.

I have a client whose Sohmer studio upright has an old Damppchaser system (at
least 20 years old).  When she maintains it the piano is not quite musical
between tunings, but if she lets the Damppchaser go, WOW!    She does a lot
of two piano (the other piano is a Steinway L with a DC system), and the
Sohmer does all the pitch movement.

Bill Shull, RPT