Capstan Relocation

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 02:42:02 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 14, 2000 10:58 AM
Subject: Capstan Relocation

> I am evaluating relocation of the capstan line on my Boston grand because
> the wippen heel cushion/capstan contact point lies well below the "magic
> line" between the wippen center pin and the key bottom at the center rail
> pin. At full key depression, the contact point comes just up to the magic
> line.

I am wondering how does this piano play?   Is there something in the playing
that makes you want to seek an improvement?  Is there any way to describe
this?  Also wondering what specs are given in the manual and how far the
piano is off.  Do they give distance from keybed to string, or distance from
hammer flange centers to string, or height from keytop to keybed? ---ric