Capstan Relocation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 08:11:43 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Moody" <remoody@midstatesd.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 3:42 AM
Subject: Re: Capstan Relocation

OK

> Is there something in the playing
> that makes you want to seek an improvement?
> Is there any way to describe
> this?

Nothing drastic. MY wife would like it to feel lighter if possible and more
even. That is why I am pursuing the Stanwood touchweight thing. I am trying
to learn where one can go with an action - Especially one that is not all
that bad to start with. I want to know what are the limits of custom
modification of touchweight. I am not trying to fix anything that is broken.
I am trying to make my action perform for my wife like no other action can.
I want it to be the most fabulous action she has ever had the pleasure to
play on.

> Also wondering what specs are given in the manual and how far the
> piano is off.  Do they give distance from keybed to string, or distance
from
> hammer flange centers to string, or height from keytop to keybed? ---ric

Manual? What manual? Does a new Boston piano come with a manual? Does Boston
publish any regulation specs? I have asked the Steinway dealer from which I
bought it and they say they do not have any such information. I guess they
don't bother with such nonsense. If such information exists, do you know
where I can get a copy? I would be very interested.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com