Bent spring rail

Douglasmahard@AOL.COM Douglasmahard@AOL.COM
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 05:39:20 EDT

In a message dated 10/17/2000 10:29:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
staytuned@idirect.com writes:

<< We see this, time and time again on console & spinet actions by Sterling.
The spring rail in the bass section bows toward the damper wires, causing a
heavy touch and springs popping out of their grooves.

 Is there a solution?

 John Lillico, RPT
 Oakville, Ontario >>

Hi John,

Perhaps you can shim the rail.  By this I mean, place a saw kerf about 2/3 to
1/2 of the thickness of the rail on the string side where the bow is.  Then
glue a shim into the kerf.  This should take the bow out.  Naturally, you'll
have to take the spring rail out.

Doug Mahard