Capstan Relocation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:00:20 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 8:48 AM
Subject: Re: Capstan Relocation

> > Nothing drastic. MY wife would like it to feel lighter if possible and
more
> > even. That is why I am pursuing the Stanwood touchweight thing. I am
trying
> > to learn where one can go with an action - Especially one that is not
all
> > that bad to start with. I want to know what are the limits of custom
> > modification of touchweight. I am not trying to fix anything that is
broken.
> > I am trying to make my action perform for my wife like no other action
can.
> > I want it to be the most fabulous action she has ever had the pleasure
> > play on.
> >

> Ahh... well this is a bit easier then isnt it ?? You can start off your
venture
> and accomplish alot of towards these goals without getting too complicated
all
> at the same time.
>
> 1. Make sure the spread is really good, and just a bit on the wide side if
at
> all off dead center. Make it as close to dead center as you can tho.

My action spread is 113mm. How do I know if this is good? "Just a bit on the
wide side" of what? "Dead center" on what? I had the impression that action
spread was just a simple magic 112mm to 113mm or so. What are you lining up
or what?

> 2. Use your present Down / Up weight figures and decide how much lighter
you
> want this to be in general. Remove 1 gram of felt/wood from the hammers
for
> every 5-5.5 grams Downweight you want to loose. While you are doing this
use
> your Stanwood kit to evenly graduate the Strikeweights of the Hammers to
conform
> to this general change.

I faxed all my data to David Stanwood this morning. I look forward to his
input. I'm gonna wait and see. In the meantime, I just picked up this action
from a 80 yo Brambach that barely plays. No intricate touchweight analyses
here!. Lots of protec and gross regulation - you know, so the hammers hit
the right strings and don't block against the strings! Heaven help us.

snip

> Keep us informed of what you end up doing... its great to see the learning
> process in action... one of the greatest teachers there are actually...
>
> --
> Richard Brekne
> RPT, N.P.T.F.
> Bergen, Norway