Capstan Relocation

Wed, 18 Oct 2000 23:06:32 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> My action spread is 113mm. How do I know if this is good? "Just a bit on the
> wide side" of what? "Dead center" on what? I had the impression that action
> spread was just a simple magic 112mm to 113mm or so. What are you lining up
> or what?

Spread window should be from around 111 to 114mm as I understand it. Jon Page
wrote me this, and I have seen this in a old articles, and a handout sheet I got
from Renner at the Nordic Convention this year. Course this is somewhat
dependant on whether or not action part dimensions are reasonably correctly
determined. In the Boston grand you have, we gotta kinda figure they are in the
ball park...grin. By dead center I mean the perpendicular from the hammershank
at rest from the knuckle core through the jack centerpin. This should be dead
on, or if anything off... just a half hair off a rats tail back of dead on. This
gives a nice friction condition for the jacktop on the knuckle. Once again, you
have to be sure that the hammer shank adjusted to the correct distance from the
strings after you move the whippens to check this position. You also might find
it helpfull to regulate the jacks rest position in looking at this lineup.

> > 2. Use your present Down / Up weight figures and decide how much lighter
> you
> > want this to be in general. Remove 1 gram of felt/wood from the hammers
> for
> > every 5-5.5 grams Downweight you want to loose. While you are doing this
> use
> > your Stanwood kit to evenly graduate the Strikeweights of the Hammers to
> conform
> > to this general change.
>
> I faxed all my data to David Stanwood this morning. I look forward to his
> input. I'm gonna wait and see. In the meantime, I just picked up this action
> from a 80 yo Brambach that barely plays. No intricate touchweight analyses
> here!. Lots of protec and gross regulation - you know, so the hammers hit
> the right strings and don't block against the strings! Heaven help us.

Just out of curiosity.... what are your present KR sample readings, and your
Whippen Radius Weight sample readings ?

Looks like you are in for a fun job on the Brambach... :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.