Capstan Relocation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 20:17:54 -0400

See below.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 5:06 PM
Subject: Re: Capstan Relocation

> > My action spread is 113mm. How do I know if this is good? "Just a bit on
the
> > wide side" of what? "Dead center" on what? I had the impression that
action
> > spread was just a simple magic 112mm to 113mm or so. What are you lining
up
> > or what?
>
> Spread window should be from around 111 to 114mm as I understand it. Jon
Page
> wrote me this, and I have seen this in a old articles, and a handout sheet
I got
> from Renner at the Nordic Convention this year. Course this is somewhat
> dependant on whether or not action part dimensions are reasonably
correctly
> determined. In the Boston grand you have, we gotta kinda figure they are
in the
> ball park...grin. By dead center I mean the perpendicular from the
hammershank
> at rest from the knuckle core through the jack centerpin. This should be
dead
> on, or if anything off... just a half hair off a rats tail back of dead
on. This
> gives a nice friction condition for the jacktop on the knuckle. Once
again, you
> have to be sure that the hammer shank adjusted to the correct distance
from the
> strings after you move the whippens to check this position. You also might
find
> it helpfull to regulate the jacks rest position in looking at this lineup.

Ah, Ok.

> > I faxed all my data to David Stanwood this morning. I look forward to
his
> > input. I'm gonna wait and see. In the meantime, I just picked up this
action
> > from a 80 yo Brambach that barely plays. No intricate touchweight
analyses
> > here!. Lots of protec and gross regulation - you know, so the hammers
hit
> > the right strings and don't block against the strings! Heaven help us.
>
> Just out of curiosity.... what are your present KR sample readings, and
your
> Whippen Radius Weight sample readings ?

KR is between 0.52 and 0.53.  WWs range from 17.5 to 18.5 in the factory
configuration.

> Looks like you are in for a fun job on the Brambach... :)

Yeah. Gotta pay the bills. Strictly salvage. Her husband (who is out of
work) "rebuilt" the piano - did a yucky job refinishing it. I had given her
an estimate a year ago to make the action function. Now she tells me she is
going to sell it. I just know I will run into what Ron N. recently described
when some luck soul call me and tells me they just bought the antique piano
that I had rebuilt and the (*&(*@^#$(&@^# and the (*#&()*@#&$ don't work!
And they think I shoud fix it. Oh, well. We will see.