Capstan Relocation

Fri, 20 Oct 2000 19:12:01 +0200

Thanks muchly for this posting...will read it through a couple more times before
digesting it all. In the meantime a couple points stuck out and I wanted to get
your thoughts on those.

Overs Pianos wrote:

> Bill Ballard touched on the influence of the jack/roller relationship
> to the line-of-centres in his recent post. His was an excellent
> point. The location of the jack/roller contact for many actions, is
> very poorly laid out.

Yet there are seemingly two somewhat opposing friction concerns here... the
roller sliding on the repetition lever... vs the rollers contact situation with
the jack. I agree Bills point was a good one in as much as it addressed the
unobtainability of this line of centers / knuckle consideration.

> While it is important to have the capstan/heel
> contact pass through the line-of-centres at half key dip, the
> jack/roller contact position is of equal importance.

This is another point discussed a bit lately... and none of those who seem active
in action design parameters who have written about this lately have seemed to see
the importance of this.. I frankly do not see how this ends up being an important
point (tho I strive to adhere to it) I would love to hear some explanation as too
what exactly makes this half-key dip / line of centers / whippen cushion-capstan
contact point so essential. care to expound ??

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.