Capstan Relocation

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 23:16:03 +1100

Bill Ballard, Ron N and list,

Bill wrote;

>I've always assumed that the sliding
>friction between the top of the jack and the knuckle had a static
>phase, one which at the start locked the jack top to the knuckle, and
>which was not transformed into a sliding friction until the point
>where the potential energy store in the compression of the jack
>adjusting button felt finally exceeded the force of static friction
>at this spot.

A very nice description Bill. Furthermore, the nature of the jack
motion you describe is the primary reason why the jack stop cushion
must be quite thick and of a soft grade of felt. When key depression
begins, there is a noticeable backward movement of the jack tip (away
from the hammer center) before the onset of jack/knuckle sliding
friction.

>Remember that while the contact point on both arcs (the
>knuckle's and the jack top's) are both heading in the same direction,
>the horizontal component (sliding motion) is greater in the knuckle's
>arc, and it is also increasing. No wonder the jack is not inclined
>(no pun intended) to immediately break free of this static friction
>grip with the knuckle.

The arcs of motion will only be travelling in the same direction at
that instant they pass through the line-of-centers - when
jack/knuckle friction will be at a minimum. On either side of the
line-of-centers friction will increase proportional to the
lever-contact's displacement from the line.

Ron Nossaman responded to Bill's post;

>I'd say your explanation is right. The described arcs are intersecting,
>rather than tangent, and the radii of both arcs (wippen flange center to
>jack top, and hammer flange center to knuckle contact point) are decreasing
>as the jack rises.

Exactly. And the rate of of the radii change is proportional to the friction.

>I don't understand why widening the spread would change
>this. Seems like that just tilts the jack forward more and makes the wippen
>arc radius longer. Wouldn't that make it worse????

Most probably.

Bill Ballard continued;

>It would seem quite likely that this effect could still occur even in an
>action in which axes and contact points had been properly dealt with,
>such as in Ron's action.

It certainly does, but to a lesser degree by virtue of the reduced
contacting-surface offset from the line-of-centers.

Ron N responded to Bill's above statement;

>It should, but since these described arcs in his action are so much more
>nearly tangent (as near as is geometrically possible) the effect would be
>minimal. Then again... Hey Ron

Yes?

>in an action like yours, if the jack was
>backstopped by a relatively light, short range spring instead of a
>relatively firm felt, wouldn't the jack ride the knuckle through the entire
>range of movement, deflecting and rolling rather than sliding, and produce
>very nearly zero friction until letoff?

It probably would, but I suspect that the load on the spring might
still cause a counteracting load to be placed on the knuckle (as it
also will with the felt), which would oppose the rise of the hammer
shank.

>I know you've already got very
>nearly zero friction there
>but I was wondering if you or anyone else has
>tried this, or seen it anywhere? The closer the contact point to the
>hammer/wippen center line, the better the result, and the less it would be
>necessary.

Its interesting that you should ponder over further possibilities.
While I had a couple of other ideas lurking around in my head (not
the particular one you mentioned), I opted for a more standard layout
(ie. incorporating a standard knuckle in the form of a roller) which
might cause less controversy in the technical community.

>Oh well, sorry to butt in. Just pondering the physics a little.

You both (Ron N and Bill) seem to be pretty much on the mark - your
pondering was welcome. It was good to read your contributions at the
end of my Monday here in Sydney. I'm looking forward to some of the
Reno bar-room discussions already.

Regards,

Ron Overs
--