Air hammers for Pin torque

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 07:15:03 GMT

Hi Barrie,

  I like your history website!  You've sure done a lot of work on it.

  I believe that a primary cause of the better and more consistent torque is
from it being hit by many small blows rather than a few heavy ones.  True,
the pin does go in straighter all the way.  Also the number of blows is
probably more consistent.  The hammer hits at regular intervals and the
distance each pin has to go down is the same.  I notice that when I string
with a sledge, I tend to use differing numbers of hits with the hammer,
depending on how tired I am!

  (A lot less tired with an air hammer!)
Diane