Sohmer

Lynn Rosenberg Lynn@eznet.net
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 21:15:57 -0400

Well, yes people want to spend they're leisure time doing other things.  =
Kids want instant gradification.  they don't want to take piano lessons =
because it involves effert.  I said that the piano really hasn't changed =
in 60 years, I am referring to the acustic piano.  Practice bars were in =
old upright pianos.  The conpetition was a lot tuffer.  Everybody was =
trying to out do everybody else.  Good entry new pianos years ago =
Everetts, Stecks, Kimball, and others were available.  Features that =
were used in cheap pianos, such as key buttons, aren't being used in mor =
expensive pianos today.  I guss the big improvement is the use of =
plastic, in piano actions.  No wood to replace.  However, they're =
certain designs in actions in my opinion have taken a steep backwards.  =
Years ago in the old American upright, the screw, but plate design was =
used.  The butt was screwed in the front with the regular wood flange in =
the front, and the center pin went through the flange into the but and =
the hole was half a hole and they're was a but plate screwed in the =
back, and the pin was griped between the butt plate and flange.  Every =
time they're was a seasonal change, you had to push the pins back in =
because of change in tempreature, plus tighten the screws in the front =
and back.  When the pianos got old, when you tightened those screws in =
the back, because of rotten wood, the butts would split.  Of course you =
could use conventional wood flange butts to solve this problem.  The =
arrangement I described above was discontinued in the american pianos =
years ago.  Yamaha, Kawai, and probably others who used it discontinued =
it also.  However, Young Chang, and others still use it.  I was told by =
a rep that they can assemble the butts quicker.  However, if a piano is =
used hard, you have to do all this extra work to keep the instrument =
working properly with a season change.  Is that design considered an =
improvement?? I think not.  You would think that these foreign =
manufacturers would change.  Lynn

  ----- Original Message -----=20