The official first flaming by Leifsson

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:11:12 -0700

>>Tony, Lynn and list...
>>
>>"Well Mrs.. Smith...if you can get a working piano, that is great. But an
>>electronic keyboard from Wal-Mart will suit a beginner student nicely."
>>Flame if you wish...
>>Mitch Ruth
>

>Grrrrrr... I wish to flame.

Me, too. So much of musicality is learned behavior. I remember the misery
of trying to help a cello student who started on the violin. That first
month or two sets up habits and conceptions that become indelible for life.
The feedback, both in tone and touch, from playing a real piano will
influence the approach to both music and the piano from then on. An
electronic keyboard, with no or poor touch response and a plastic-sounding
unvaried tone is a terrible influence on a young player.

Of course, if they are going to play chopsticks and the Star Spangled
Banner and a few hymns,   so what? But you never know which one might
actually be musical, given the chance.

My 6 cents' worth ...

Susan