Piano Industry

Lynn Rosenberg Lynn@eznet.net
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:57:50 -0400

Hi john, you're right, 100 years for trees etc. As long as I can work =
for another 25 years, after that I don't care, because I'll probably =
will retire.  I know that they have used plastic in cars.  I wonder if =
we'll ever see molded plastic piano cases?? Then the price might really =
go down and probably quallity.  Lynn

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2000 6:27 PM
  Subject: Re: Piano Industry

  At 10:12 PM 10/28/2000 +0200, you wrote:

    Lynn Rosenberg wrote:

    > Hi John, I don't have a problem with kids using key boards, it's =
fascinating
    > for them.  Bells and whistles, midi, etc. It will encourage music, =
but, if
    > the next generation or shall I say this generation gets all =
wrapped up in
    > these electronic devices, sales of the Acoustic piano will =
continue to go
    > down, and more companies will close they're doors.  Lynn

    Well, thats going to happen anyways. Each year they get better and =
better
    reproducing the sound of an acoustic piano. Sooner or later it will =
be good
    enough to overcome enough of the remaining reasons for buying an =
acoustic piano
    that folks will start buying these instead. And I mean big time. I =
would think
    that it would hit the low end of the acoustic market most, but who =
knows.

    Another danger with all this is that at some point there will not be =
enough
    market to support the industry as a whole, and when that happens the =
knowledge
    base will begin to suffer. Then you have an evil circle started =
which is going
    to be hard to fight against.

  You can't fight progress :-)

  By the time this happens, trees will be at a premium also.

  100 years from now, pianos as we know them may be old technology.

  The polyester finishes of today could be replaced by molded resin =
cases,
  who could tell the difference?

  Regards,

  Jon Page,   piano technician