Strobe tuning

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 07:44:32 -0500

Bill,

My only qualification for answering you is that I have a Peterson 520
Strobetuner, which I used many years for help in setting an F-F
temperament and did the rest of the tuning aurally.  Beyond that I found
it unuseable.  I have since switched to RCT.

A question in my mind is why you want to do pitchraises.  You don't need
it for your own piano, since you hire a tuner to tune for you, so I
assume maybe you rebuild and want to get the piano in the ballpark after
restringing.

To answer your question, I believe the Model 520 is in equal temperament
but does not allow for stretch.  Because of that, I seriously doubt that
it can be used even for pitchraises, if your hearing problem includes no
pitch perception.  If you're chipping, I think it would be possible even
with RCT or SATIII to be off by an entire octave and the machine won't
tell you that.  If I'm wrong here, I'm sure someone will set the record
straight.

Peterson has a new instrument out now that compensates for stretch, so
I'm told.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA