advice on action/hammers (continued)

David Love lovedg@hotmail.com
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 01:45:18 GMT

Following my first message re putting Steinway hammers on your MH.  There
are many opinions and tastes in hammers, I still  think the Steinway hammer,
when prepared properly, gives the broadest tonal palette.  Re action parts.
The MH's you describe frequently have weight problems and must be analyzed
thouroughly for proper action parts.  I am partial to Renner parts as I find
they are consistent in quality especially in the area of bushing cloth and
leather.  I have not always found the same to be true of some other
manufacturers.  Nevertheless, because of the possible weight problems I have
found that it is sometimes necessary to use a shank with a center pin to
knuckle dimension that is not provided by Renner.  Specifically, sometimes
an 18mm knuckle works better than the 17mm provided by Renner.  In that
case, Abel makes a shank of that dimension.  The biggest problem with those
old MH actions is that often you have to compromise a longer knuckle
dimension in order to remove excess lead from the keys and reduce inertia,
in short, make the action feel more responsive.

Good luck.

David Love
San Francisco